Mobile automotive repair offers a great opportunity for automakers and dealerships who build the right program. And it can be a trap for dealers who try to manage mobile repair like it is the service drive. And the key to success is the right mobile service business plan for your market.
Building a Mobile Service Business Plan
A successful mobile auto repair business starts with a great business plan. And while there are many keys to success, your mobile service business plan should include the following:
- Choose the right equipment: Vans are a popular option but may not allow you to offer the best services. AutoUtility offers scissor lift trailers and can accommodate most repairs.
- Primary and related services: A mobile service business is not a service drive. So, make sure to plan your repairs carefully for revenue and profit.
- Route management: Your technicians should spend their time fixing cars, not driving to customer locations. So, define your dispatch area and plan efficient routes while booking customers.
- Customer management: Make sure you set clear customer expectations and communication plans, or your customer service will suffer.
- Multi-Point Inspection: Make a multi point vehicle inspection part of the repair process. And use the multipoint inspection as a tool to capture future business.
- Define Your target customers: Decide who you want to service with your mobile service fleet. Vehicle owners, multi stop routes and remote service locations are all good options.
Choose the Right Equipment
Choosing the right equipment can be the difference between profits and losses. AutoUtility provides mobile service trailers and Mobile service vans. So, we can provide the unit that maximizes performance in your local market.
And while vans and trailers have value, a mobile service trailer offers significant benefits including:
- Purchase price: Trailers can be as much as 50% less than a mobile service van. And with a hydraulic trailer lift, you get more value for your money.
- Flexibility: Because we offer a car lift on trailer, your team can perform just about any service. Including tire rotations/replacements, brake jobs, and multi-point inspections.
- Complete Shop on Wheels: An AutoUtility mobile service trailer contains all the equipment you need to repair a vehicle. Including a generator, air compressor, part storage and oil tanks.
Primary and Related Services
Some automotive maintenance and repair jobs are efficient on a mobile service trailer while others are not. Also, some repair services add value while others detract. So, build your mobile auto repair business plan for maximum profit.
The less time your technicians spend driving, the more time they have to repair vehicles and generate revenue. This makes dispatch planning the key to program profitability. Tools such as Elite Extra routing optimization software that can help you reduce drive time and increase repair time.
Mobile service helps you improve customer lifecycle satisfaction. And good communication is key to customer satisfaction, so make sure you are transparent with your customers. Some tricks are to tailor your marketing plan and sales process to control awareness of your mobile service program. This helps ensure you can manage the volume effectively as it grows.
Multi Point Inspection Checklist
Completing and reviewing a multipoint inspection for every customer is key to long-term success. It helps identify additional repairs and schedule future business. And the portable car hoist on every AutoUtility trailer makes it easy to complete an MPI.
Define your Target Customers
There’s no reason to give away a valuable service such as mobile repair. Instead, mobile service is a premium service best offered to premium customers who are willing to pay extra. So set your marketing plan to target high-end customers. This can include newer vehicle owners, purchasers of expensive vehicles and managers of large fleets.
Mobile Service is a new business model for car dealerships. So, your approach may change as you tune in your business and your customers become familiar with your service.
The keys are to build a good auto repair shop business plan with a quality financial plan. Using these as a foundation will help you adapt and remain effective as the program progresses. Consultants such as the Fixed Ops consulting team at 3NG Consulting can help monitor your progress and adjust your program.
Purchase the Right Equipment
Any part of your mobile service program can adapt depending on the marketplace. But purchasing the wrong vehicle repair equipment is much more difficult. So before you decide on commercial vans for your mobile service program, take a look at mobile service trailers.
If you have questions or concerns, please reach out and we’ll tell you how each of these platforms can be accessorized to meet your needs.